- Donald Trump talks tough on Venezuela, but China, Russia and his own diplomatic isolation tie his hands – SCMP, 4/22/19
The US announced enhanced sanctions against Caracas last week targeting Venezuela’s central bank, cutting off its access to the US financial system. The move, intended to further isolate Nicolas Maduro’s regime, comes after months of tough talk to end his grip on power. More sanctions are expected in May to further curtail Venezuela’s trade in oil, their main export and foreign currency earner.
- What the US will lose in a trade agreement with China – SCMP, 4/10/19
As the US and China get closer to a possible trade deal, the World Trade Organisation is set to lose its principal role as an arbiter of disputes. That has significant consequences for global trade, and underlined the re-emergence of bilateral agreements that once hindered global trade and development for decades.
- How Donald Trump can still engage North Korea – SCMP, 3/27/19
US President Donald Trump had been uncharacteristically quiet since his failed meeting with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un in Hanoi. That silence ended with a confused tweet at the end of last week overturning some unannounced, but apparently new, sanctions his Treasury Department was about to impose on Kim’s government.
- China’s latest snub undermines its leadership case – CNN Global Public Square, 10/11/12
- China’s Middle Class – Newsweek Japan [Print edition, Japanese], September, 2012
- Why China Needs a PR Makeover – CNN Global Public Square, 9/11/12
- The Danger to China’s Economy – The-Diplomat.com, 9/9/11
- Crisis in the Global Middle Class – Part II – World Politics Review, 8/7/12
- Crisis in the Global Middle Class – Part I – World Politics Review, 8/6/12
- The Rise of Global Feudalism – The Diplomat, 4/7/12
- Tamed Tigers, Distressed Dragon – Foreign Affairs, 7/09, w/Kenneth Neil Cukier
- How Not to Invest in Myanmar* – Foreign Affairs, 7/25/12, * Full article available here.
- Decision Time for Asian Regional Trade – Newsweek Japan [print edition only], 1/18/12
- Asia’s Challenges for Obama – Far Eastern Economic Review (.pdf file via CFR website), November 2008
- Can China, Japan Avoid Clash in 2013? – CNN Global Public Square, 01/25/13
- Conflict in the South China Sea – Newsweek Japan [Print edition, Japanese], September, 2012
- Has the UN Lost Its Peacekeeping Mandate? – CNN Global Public Square, 9/4/12
- The Next Battlefield Will Be The South China Sea – Business Insider, 8/24/12
- Will Kim Jong Un’s Leadership Be Music to U.S. Ears? – CNN Global Public Square, 7/27/12
- North Korea Misfires – New York Times/International Herald Tribune, 5/27/09
- Focus on East Asia Security – Gulf News and South China Morning Post, 1/12/09
- What Goes Around Comes Around for Russia – The Japan Times, 9/19/08